Desmond is the head of the firm’s litigation practice. His extensive litigation experience covers the full range of commercial activity including banking and finance, shareholder and joint ventures, insolvency, employment, intellectual property and engineering and construction contracts and defects. He is highly commended by both local and international clients as a trusted business advisor and litigator with a brilliant legal mind.
He has conducted commercial litigation as lead partner in all of the higher Kenyan courts including the Supreme Court as well as quasi-judicial bodies such as the Public Procurement Administrative Review Board and the Kenya Industrial Property Institute. He is a qualified Arbitrator and Mediator and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb). He is also a trustee of the Vlad Danciu Memorial Foundation Charitable Trust.
Desmond trained at the firm of Iseme, Kamau & Maema Advocates between 2009 and 2011 where he was involved in both public and private law litigation. He later joined the firm of Daly & Figgis Advocates (now Daly & Inamdar Advocates) where he was a partner in the dispute resolution department until October 2017.
- MA in Leadership, Pan Africa Christian University (ongoing)
- LLB (Honours), University of Leeds
- Advising Allpack Industries Limited and Kuehne + Nagel Limited in winding up proceedings against Karuturi Ltd which was then the largest flower exporter in Kenya.
- Successfully defending a commercial bank in arbitration proceedings filed against it for damages amounting to KES 120 Million on account of alleged unfair dismissal.
- Successfully defending Housing Finance of Kenya Ltd (HF Group) in a commercial claim for an alleged breach of undertaking worth KES 200 Million.
- Successfully reducing on behalf of the Salvation Army a claim of damages against them from KES 78 Million to KES 3 Million in a property development and construction dispute.
- Successfully stopping the Kenya Urban Roads Authority from demolishing Tamarind Village apartments in Mombasa worth approximately KES 2 Billion on the allegation that the properties were on a road reserve.
- Acting for an estate worth KES 15 Billion in a landmark succession case at the High Court and Court of Appeal on whether estoppel can override statutory provisions on inheritance.
- Advising various USAID funded projects on employment regulations, redundancies and drafting employment agreements.
- Undertaking a wide range of commercial litigation in relation to guarantees, judicial review of government actions, winding up of companies and enforcement of securities.
- Law Society of Kenya
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators